Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sublime

"In a Station of the Metro"
"The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough."
- Ezra Pound

yes, it's incredibly short but when i first read it and still today i just had to stop in my tracks. i couldn't move, i'm not even sure i was breathing. i just had this sudden overwhelming image in my head of this crowd of people bustling, paying no mind to anything but themselves, getting on and off the metro. it's overcast and gray and there's a few umbrellas. across the way there is this park, it's damp so all the branches are black and dripping and these pale pink and white petals cling to them or flutter heavily to the wet grass.

it's really stunning imagery. dunno why this particular one caught me but it's overwhelming. though now that i've actually talked about it instead of keeping it to myself it'll probably fade from me.

No comments: